Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Will-ing

Life.  Ya just gotta love it... I know it can be annoying to hear positive things when life isn't going your way, so if that's you... go ahead and think of 5 things you're grateful for and if it's not you, you can do it anyways.... go ahead, I'll wait...
1._______________________________________________________
2._______________________________________________________
3._______________________________________________________
4._______________________________________________________
5._______________________________________________________

Good!!  I read somewhere it is scientifically proven that you cannot have feelings of gratitude and depressing ones at the same time, so hopefully we got that out of the way because I have a feel good story to tell :-)

So tonight I was doing yoga in the little studio that is in my apartment complex, when I heard someone:
"Anyone here?"
I was in Warrior II and just stayed there yelling back:
"Yep!"
The mans voice shot back again:
"Okay, thanks, it's security, just checking."
I always close the blinds to the room so if people are at the pool or working out, they don't have to watch my routine... and even though the door is open, I'm just out of view, so people never know I'm in there at first.  It's actually funny because people will be talking  or fighting or singing to themselves, then I'll do something that makes noise and they shut right up... lol... opppsie, they didn't realize I was listening!  Anyways, back to my story.

So I keep doing my flow, and a few asanas later I hear security again:
"Anyone here now?"
I guess they really wanted to keep tabs on what was going on, so I replied:
"Still here!"
Then the man walked into the room... sounds like something scary is gonna happen... he was wearing black leather gloves and a black knit hat... (insert scary music here)... AND THEN... sorry to let you down, but all that happened was he informed me his clicker to get into the business center wasn't working and asked if he could use mine.  Of course I let him, and when he came back he said mine wasn't working either.  I looked at the clock and it was 10:34pm and the business center closes at 10:00pm.  He was so upset, it was his first night on the job, he was so worried he was gonna look irresponsible, but no one had told him it closed!  He had left his folder with all his paperwork in there, and he had another job in the morning at 8am, he didn't know what time the locks would open and he lived 30 miles away.  I felt for the guy, I swear he was on the verge of tears.  He didn't know what to do, he kept saying that this couldn't be happening.  I told him not to worry, that we'd figure it out.  I got him paper from my apt to write down his hours, then told him in the morning I would unlock the door first thing and get his folder, copy the info onto the paper and drop it off to the office.  He was so grateful, he kept thanking me and going over the plan to verify. "You are seriously an angel sent from God, really."  (tell me something I don't know, hehe)  I asked him his name, "Will, Will Woods." He gave me his #, and his wife's # just in case.  He just called me to confirm again... haha.

The thing is I am grateful to him as well.  The fact that I was not only able to be in the right place at the right, (late), time... but the fact that I was able to be the right person.  That I was able to say yes I will to Will... and not only say yes, but be grateful for being able to help.  I know this sounds soooooo cheesy, but it is such a gift when life uses us to be angels for people.  When we are able to see the opportunity to be a part of someone else's moment, and allow them to help us see beyond ours.  I'm not sure why it made me feel so extremely grateful, but somehow the synchronicity of the whole event made it so much more to me than just a favor... I mean, his name, Will.  The fact that I was doing yoga at 10:30 at night.  The way he seemed so kind and yet lost.

There is no way to describe the significance, no logic to explain the magnitude, but for me it meant more than I can say... which is how most of the moments of our lives are.  To us they can mean something totally different than they do to anyone else.  It reminded me that people may not always remember what you said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel... so to do my best to make everyone feel the way I'd want to feel in their shoes.  It also reminded me how important it is to pay it forward... life is a big chain of moments like this that we link together by being aware and willing... and after this, I'm sure both Will & I will!

Today's Silver Lining:

"You don't owe me a thing, I've been there too, Someone once helped me out, Just the way I'm helping you, If you really want to pay me back, Here's what you do, Don't let the chain of love end with you." The Chain of Love- by Clay Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment