Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Friday, April 16, 2010

Lost In Translation

 Since India I've loved chanting and listening to these songs with words I don't always know the meanings of... not just Indian music, but all types.  I can feel what they mean... sometimes more accurately than songs I know the words to.  There is actually a song that I keep thinking of by Gloria Estefan, that says, "I tried to say I love you, but the words got in the way."  Sometimes there are things you experience, feel, or see that words can't express... and when you try to use words, you lose the meaning in translation, the words get in the way.  There are many things like this, and I am slowly, (very slowly... very verrrry slowly), learning that I don't need to try to explain everything I learn or go through to people.

My guru, Amma has a great way of explaining this situation. When someone asked Amma to describe the experience of God, Amma said that it is not possible to adequately put into words the taste of sugar to one who does not know the meaning of the word “sweet” . One has to taste sugar to understand sweetness. Similarly, God is pure experience, beyond the mind and words.

We can try to explain sugar to people all we want, but eventually they will taste it themselves and only then will they understand... however, we don't need anyone else to know anything to enjoy the taste for ourselves!!

Today's Silver Lining:

Ide were were nita ochun
Ide were were
Ide were were nita ochun
Ide were were nita ya
Ocha kiniba nita ochun
Cheke cheke cheke
Nita ya
Ide were were

This is a Yoruba mantra (from Africa). It's a mantra to Goddess Oxum (ochun), the goddess of the rivers and water falls. Her color is yellow and she's also this lovely mother that looks over all her children. It loosely translates to say, "Flaunt your jewelry Oshun, flaunt it well mama"
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this one! Thanks for both the original lyric & the translation. Deva Premal Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am offering a Reiki Session, this is the last song on my music set. The water flows, and brings in the fresh energy, and it washes away any stagnant energy that hasn't left. Love it.

    ReplyDelete