Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Saturday, April 10, 2010

I AM Because WE ARE

Tonight I watched an inspiring, and very humbling documentary, "I Am Because We Are."  Though it was set in Malawi, amongst poverty and a severe HIV/AIDS epidemic, it wasn't just about sickness or lack... it was about change and hope and the similarities we all have to experience life. 

As I watched the images that matched the statistic that there are over 1 million orphaned children in a country of 12 million, it was hard, sad and disturbing.  Seeing the parents of these young children dying of AIDS, and for others, watching their children die or suffer, was not something that can be watched without some type of emotion... I went through sorrow, anger, frustration, compassion, but ended with hope and some sense of understanding.

Through the various stories, I found that many of the fears or struggles they described were very similar to mine and those around me.  Many of the solutions they offered also seemed fitting... one that stood out being the fact that you cannot change that which you don't accept, you can only change what you accept.  So is it a failure to admit you have a problem, or to not take responsibility for it?  They spoke of people playing the victim, rather than taking responsibility for their situation, and their ability to change it and that resiliency is a universal concept, it isn’t something that one child has and another does not, they are strengths inside each and every one of us.

One of my favorite things was how it states that there are ways to heal the world, there are ways each of us can help, but you have to find your own way... which I feel to be true, there is not one right answer.  I know I feel like my part in spreading love changes each day, and I feel blessed for the fact that I have found as many ways to do that as I have.  It doesn't have to be a huge undertaking to make a big impact on those around you, and ultimately in your own life.

Enough of my commentary, I could go on all day, here is the website to check out more if you please...

iambecauseweare.com

Much love : )





Today's Silver Lining:

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds.  Have no fear for atomic energy, 'Cause none of them can stop the time.  How long shall they kill our prophets, While we stand aside and look? Ooh!Some say it's just a part of it: We've got to fulfill the book.  Won't you help to sing This songs of freedom-'Cause all I ever have: Redemption songs."  Redemption Song- by Bob Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment