Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Monday, May 3, 2010

Go Make Something :-)

I've been talking to a lot of friends lately with the same problem... everyone feels stuck.  They feel like they need to change, try something new, feel unstuck... but there is something else I notice.  Everyone is so afraid if they do anything new, they'll make a mistake!  Well, I have an opinion on that, but I think it was put best by Elbert Hubbard when he said:
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

Many of us have been trained to strive for the top prize in life, to do as we're told... but we were never told about how many times we'd have to fall down, and lose to get there.  It seems like making a mistake is this big bad scary monster, it's such an overwhelming fear; until we make one, and realize... oh wow, that actually worked out quite nicely!!
“Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave."~ Mary Tyler Moore
We are all beginners at something, and if you think you're too old to start something new, or too skilled... lol... than now is the perfect time for you to go ahead and try that thing you've always wanted.  So what is it that you're just itching to do?  Do you even know?  Well you don't have to!! No matter what you answer to these questions, one way to discover something... is to try anything. 
"A man's errors are his portals of discovery."~ James Joyce
YES!  When you try something, you take action, you're already succeeding because you now took a thought and made it real!  So what if you've already tried and made a mistake... so what if you've struggled at something for years...
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."~Samuel Beckett

Go ahead!!  I was talking to someone today and I realized how much I value my mistakes now, they have become my roadsigns... Don't date him, eat less, read more, watch your head!!   Every Time I make a mistake, I realize I'm learning something new... and then I usually laugh at myself!  If you don't limit your reality by what you are told... I won't be able to do this unless I have that, or I can't do that because I don't know how... than anything you imagine becomes doable.  Yes... even making mistakes!!  There is a proverb that says,

“If you don't make mistakes, you don't make anything.”

So, looks like there's nothing to lose and everything to make!!!









Today's Silver Lining:
"Who is to say who wins or who loses?  I sing to myself at the end of the day when I know what the blues is, And all my mistakes have become masterpieces.  I was born in the goodness of grace.  And because of faith, because of courage, because of forgiveness, All my mistakes have become masterpieces."  All My Mistakes- by Teitur

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is so true and I've noticed this with myself as well as others around me. This is such a great truth! Good stuff Laura. I would of never started blogging if I was afraid of making a mistake.

    ReplyDelete