Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Fountain of Youth


"To be or not to be, that is the question."~Shakespeare

I ran across this quote today and it made me think of an earlier time in my life, where I believed the quote was, "To be or Nottoobee, that is the question." Furthermore, (and I have no clue where this part of my belief was created!), I thought Nottoobee was a magic gnome who lived in the enchanted forest near Santa. So, in my innocent mind, the meaning was something like, are you just gonna let it be, or ask Nottoobee. When I heard this, it would make me think... "Ohh, I should ask Nottoobee about this, because I can't just let it be." Even writing this now, I can't quite make sense of it, but I can still remember how much sense it made to me at the time... how smart it made me feel to understand this. 

I had many beliefs like that as a kid... things I was so sure about, things that made total sense, things that I understood.  As a child, when you believe something silly like that, it's cute, encouraged even. You're allowed to dream, to believe in fairies, to have fun... to believe in your own possibility!  My kindergarten teacher had an accent, and when she said "Lord," I thought she was saying, "Laura."  So everyday when we stood in a circle to pray, and everyone would ask for prayers for their grandma, pet hamster and brother, and my teacher said, "Lord please pray for them," I heard, "Laura please pray for them."  So I would say okay softly, and go home and pray for them... it seemed totally normal to me because I just thought I was really good at praying and so I was the one that could help all these people.  I believed in myself that much ... so why does that have to change as the years go by?

Well, I know the obvious answers... experience, growth, google... but can't we evolve with a smile?  Why are we expected to be so serious, have all the answers, and never fail... I mean that sounds like no fun at all!!  Amma always says,



"Have the attitude of a beginner, and the innocence of a child"

Wow!!  So good!!  There's always something new we can learn, always!!  Things are always changing, and if we have this attitude, we can be open to learn and grow with them.  Children are often looked at as those us older people can teach, but we can also learn a lot from them!!  I swear sometimes I think I've learned a lot more from kids I've tried to teach, than they learned from me!!  They have that beginner mindset still, that belief in things, they aren't afraid to listen and learn and be wrong and see what is, rather than what should be.  It's so amazing to see that in anyone!


So maybe we should all spend more time with that inner child... the one that questions and looks at everything with awe and big eyes, that can find fun in a paper bag and believe that they are a superhero!!Here's a great example of just how great life can be as a child... I'm going to start doing this daily!!  (For now, I have fairy wings in my car, bubbles in my purse, and a smile on my face... and if there's something I'm not sure about, I still remember I can always ask Nottoobee!) 



Today's Silver Lining:
"Love - Devotion, Feeling - Emotion, Don't be afraid to be weak, Don't be too proud to be strong, Just look into your heart my friend, That will be the return to yourself, The return to innocence.  If you want, then start to laugh, If you must, then start to cry.  Be yourself don't hide, Just believe in destiny, Don't care what people say, Just follow your own way, Don't give up and use the chance,To return to innocence."  Return to Innocence- by Enigma


No comments:

Post a Comment