Once upon all the time, something challenging happens, followed by something amazing...




Saturday, July 24, 2010

Shoebox of Summers Past

As I open the lid to one of many boxes surrounding me, I see a smile from a summer long gone on an old Polaroid....  I find a pair of 70's sunglasses some random guys in Vegas gave me on my way to California.  I now have a fresh new smile on my face as I remember that time.
I have always filled my shoe boxes up with scraps of things that I never wanted to forget.  Funny the things I hold onto... the things that now represent my connection to something once so profound and real.
Cards, notes, photos, ticket stubs, dried flowers...
to anyone else they would seem like useless rubbish, but to me they are clues to how I got here.... Stripes on my heart that I may have forgotten how I earned until I once again browse through my collection of reminders. Pieces of paper that represent wounds long healed... scars that I now have grown fond of. Wisdom from my earlier days that seems advanced beyond it's years... doodles of dreams that now resemble a story being told in my reality...
memories of moments past that seamlessly transformed into what I am now.
I have everything I need from them, they have become all they ever will... yet I can't seem to say goodbye to many of these old parts.
Letting go has never been one of my strong suits... why start now.
I like my tattered notes and discolored photos stained from ink... I like all of my old love notes and failed housing applications... they may be things of the past, but they keep me aware of how I got here... and so, they're going with me into summers yet to come.




Today's Silver Lining:
"The places that we lived, the living that we did, the places we were put, the things we were giving, the things that they took, they took away our pride, and if they didn't, take our lives, they took away the things that made us feel alive, oooo what have we become, what have we become, oooo how did this become, how did this become."  Anni Kookoo- by Xavier Rudd
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment